Legal basis of the WSW activity
1. Legal basis of the WSW activity:
The Internal Military Services were established to the order of the Ministry of National Defence of January 1957 (its text is not preserved). The following tasks of the WSW were specified in it:
- counter-intelligence shielding of the army, intelligence gathering activities,
- keeping the order outside the barracks,
The principles of the WSW operation were determined in such documents as:
Instruction of the Minister of National Defence (the recent one originates from March 1984 – Enclosure No. 1), annual guidelines of the WSW Chief and chiefs of individual directorates.
The following documents were also of normative character for the WSW:
- “Principles of co-operation in the area of counter-intelligence activity (Enclosure to the „Principles of co-operation of the Ministry of National Defence and Ministry of Internal Affairs of 1974).
- Instructions of the Central Committee of the Polish United Worker’s Party (KC PZPR) on party and political works in the army. It should be noted in this place that certain part of the WSW actions (particularly those against political opposition) was run based on verbal instructions, which have not been confirmed in writing afterwards..